- Abstract/Travel grant submission opens – 1st May 2017
- Abstract/Travel grant submission ends – 30th June 2017
- Abstract/Travel grant submission extension – 14th July 2017
- Conference registration opens – 1st August 2017
- Conference registration closes – 30th September 2017
- Start of the conference – 25th October 2017
Our OSA student chapter was started in Cork, Ireland, and moved to Okinawa along with the chapter advisor and the then-student president. We have been at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) for the past four years. During this time our chapter has been especially active in outreach events by teaching at local schools, giving talks, and taking part in local large science promotional events. In the last year alone we have participated in outreach extending to approximately 7,500 people. This year we continue our outreach endeavors and take on the challenging task of hosting an IONS conference.
IONS conferences are student run events which present excellent opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to meet with their peers, discuss science, and form social networks early in their career. Annually, between six and eight of these conferences in optics and physics are distributed globally. This year we would be happy to host you on our small island of Okinawa where, for the first time in its history, our university, OIST, is hosting such an event through the OSA student chapter. Have a look around our site, check us out on facebook and if it seems of interest to you apply. We look forward to hearing from you.